Marketers are presented with many complex choices in the context of a future that is inherently uncertain. This module will enable you to take a strategic approach to planning that achieves a sustainable competitive advantage.
Aims of the module
This module recognises the significance of situation analysis and introduces techniques for assessing external and internal environments to enable effective decision making. It outlines the importance of all stages within the marketing planning process, from audit, through strategic decision making, to implementation of plans; and how managing resources, employing monitoring and measurement techniques enable the achievement of strategic marketing objectives.
Three units with two learning outcomes each. Each learning outcome will be covered by the related assessment criteria (weighting indicated in brackets). By the end of this module you should be able to:
Unit 1: Situation analysis
- Understand how to analyse an organisation’s current and future external environment (15%).
- Understand how to analyse an organisation’s current and future internal environment (15%).
Unit 2: Planning
- Analyse relevant information to recommend and inform strategic decision making (20%).
- Develop a strategic marketing plan to realise organisational objectives (20%).
Unit 3: Implementation and control
- Manage resources to deliver the strategic marketing plan (15%).
- Monitor, measure and adapt the marketing plan for continuous improvement (15%).
Assessment: Extended answer test
(A three-hour examination)
Extended answer questions with preparatory work.
Explore the full Diploma in Professional Marketing qualification.
CIM level 6
Estimated study time
Please contact your Accredited Study Centre directly
Contact your Accredited Study Centre for the total cost of this module.
Below is the breakdown of the costs:
Assessment cost: £180 (£140 in International Reduced Rate countries)*
Plus Accredited Study Centre tuition fees**
Plus CIM annual registration fee of £55***
*Discount available to members who reside in countries listed as eligible for an International Reduced Rate.
** Figures based on successful completion at first attempt; this price does not include the fee for any resits required.
*** The registration fee of £55 is payable annually for each year of the duration of your studies. The above CIM costs are based on the qualification being completed within 12 months.