Unit 1: What is Marketing?
This unit defines marketing and explains its importance. It focuses on the role of marketing, its cross-functional significance and its contribution to business success. It also looks at the role of marketing as a service provider within the organisation.
- Define marketing.
- Determine the importance of marketing as a cross-functional activity contributing towards business success.
- Explain the importance of understanding the organisation's marketing environment and the impact it has upon an organisation's ability to satisfy customer needs and wants.
- Identify each element of the marketing mix in the context of customer needs and achieving customer satisfaction.
- Apply the marketing mix to a range of different organisational sectors and contexts.
Unit 2: Understanding Customer Relationships
This unit focuses on developing an understanding of internal and external customers, and considers how this knowledge can assist in designing appropriate marketing activities. You will learn how to engage and support customers to achieve long-term loyalty.
- Explain the importance of understanding customers, and how marketing information aids the better development of activities to achieve customer satisfaction.
- Explain the value and importance of internal and external relationships of the organisation and the importance of networking, collaboration and co-operation in order to develop and maintain relationships.
- Explain the different ways in which to communicate with both internal and external customers in order to develop, maintain and strengthen customer relationships.
- Explain the requirements for developing effective and efficient customer.
This is an 'open' qualification, which means you do not need any previous qualifications or marketing experience. However, if you are working or have some business experience, this will certainly help you put your learning into context.
If English isn’t your first language, you will also need to demonstrate you’ve achieved one of the following English language qualifications within the last two years:
- IELTS Academic Module with an overall score of 6.5 (each component pass mark must be 6.0 or above).
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English grade B or above.
CIM will consider other equivalent alternatives.
Both units will have their own assessment and be as follows:
- Unit 1: What is Marketing? - 1 hour online test.
- Unit 2: Understanding Customer Relationships - Assignment.
Face-to-face learning - We fully understand the time challenges of working life. Studying part time at evening classes or weekends can help get the right balance.
Distance learning - You can study remotely, with access to tutors and important resources via phone, e-mail and web.
Blended learning - This increasingly popular option allows you to complete your qualification through intensive online learning which is supported by prepared material, tutorials and face-to-face workshops.
We have an extensive network of Accredited Study Centres in the UK and overseas. These respected business schools, colleges and universities have all been approved and accredited to deliver CIM qualifications.
The costs depend on the course, the mode of study and the Accredited Study Centre. The total payable to CIM is £254.00 (£210.00 in emerging markets) in addition to Accredited Study Centre tuition fees which are payable to the study centre. CIM costs include an annual membership fee of £144.00 (£100 in emerging markets) and assessment fees for the Introductory Certificate in Marketing at £55.00 per module.
Above fees are valid from 1 July 2014.
* Find the full list of emerging markets here.
- Choose and contact your preferred Accredited Study Centre - Visit: www.cim.co.uk/studycentres to find your centre.
- Join CIM – To take a qualification, you’ll need to join us first. As a member of CIM, you will have access to a range of benefits and resources that can support your studies and professional marketing career. If you are already a member, just apply for your chosen qualification.
To join, simply complete an application form online at www.cim.co.uk/joinonline
CIM also offers the Level 4 Certificate in Professional Marketing designed for marketers working in marketing support roles and those whose current job encompasses elements of marketing. For more information on entry requirements, please contact your study centre