If you struggle with the difference between your RDAs and your RIs, fear not – you’re not alone. More than half of UK consumers think nutritional information on food and drink packaging is hard for the average shopper to understand, and the same amount say they’d pay more attention to what’s in what they buy if it was simpler.
These are just two of the findings from a major and unique research study from The Chartered Institute of Marketing, supported by YouGov and The Marketing Trust.
During late February and early March 2014, we surveyed more than 2,000 UK consumers about their attitudes towards healthy eating, food labelling and brand trust; in parallel we surveyed more than 80 senior industry representatives from food and drink brands and grocery retailers, exploring corporate policies, responsible decision making, consumer education and attitudes to regulatory developments.
The findings from this research were revealed on 21 March 2014 – here’s how to find out more:
- Read and share our infographic on consumers’ confusion with the traffic light food labelling system.
- Read and share our infographic on consumer education and what Industry think.
- CIM members – log in to download the full research report.
- Hear the issues direct from consumers in our latest videos
- Read the feature report in Marketing Week