The Chartered Institute of Marketing is committed to upholding your privacy and taking care with your personal data as a valued member, customer and user of our website.
Collection of data
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) is committed to respecting the personal data you supply to us. The information we collect will be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used and we will do our utmost to ensure that such data will be accurate, complete and kept up to date. Whenever personal data is obtained from you, you will have access to information as to how that data will be used.
- Single Sign-On (SSO) cookie: when a user logs into the website, this identifies whether the user is authenticated and logged into the website. This is a 'session' cookie that expires after 12 hours.
- Shopping basket cookie: this allows a user to store (i.e. remember) items to be purchased and their shipping address / shopping details. This is a 'session' cookie that expires after 14 days.
- ASP.NET session cookie: this holds information about the state of certain ASP.NET controls.
- Citrix cookie: this allows the CIM website to interact with CIM's web server farm.
- Google Analytics: this shows web traffic analysis. These cookies have multiple expiration dates; please refer to this article (published by Google) for more information.Google AdWords: Using Google AdWords code we are able to see which pages helped lead to contact form submissions. This allows us to make better use of our paid search budget.
- Google AdWords and Google Remarketing: We use the online advertising program Google AdWords and the Google Remarketing technology, both operated by the company Google Inc. ("Google") . For measuring conversion with Google AdWords, a conversion tracking cookie is placed when a user clicks on a CIM advertisement delivered by Google (“Ads”). Conversion tracking cookies expire after 30 days and are not used for personal identification. Google uses a different cookie for each Google AdWords customer and there is no consolidation of the cookie data with other data. If you click on one of our Ads and proceed to a page equipped with a conversion tag and the cookie has not yet expired, the conversion is documented. With the help of the conversion tracking cookie we see the total number of conversions and are able to review the performance of our Ads. You can find more information about Google AdWords here.
- DoubleClick: We use remarketing codes to log when users view specific pages, allowing us to provide targeted advertising in the future.
- Facebook Custom Audience Pixel: this is a 'web beacon', in this case a pixel used on the CIM website, which functions in a similar way to a cookie. It is used to build up a 'Custom Audience' based on people who visit our website, so we can target more relevant and effective Facebook advertising campaigns. Please refer to Facebook for more information.
- Hot Jar: this allows us to collect information about how users are navigating through and interacting with the content that's on our website. This information will help us improve users' web experience when navigating our website. Find out more.
Use of data
Note: Members, Studying Members, Affiliate Members, Fellows (will now be referred to as 'members') and Associates
Your personal data will enable The Chartered Institute of Marketing to keep you updated with relevant information which forms part of your package of membership benefits. Our communications with you may be via post, telephone or e-mail, and may originate from The Chartered Institute of Marketing or our regional branches and interest groups. Visitors to CIM's web sites may receive communications via their own personal workspace on the site.
We will not disclose your details to third-parties, unless you specifically opt-in to this type of communication.
You will be entitled to opt-out of receiving a chosen communication at any time by following the unsubscribe directions provided (if appropriate) or by contacting Membership Services.
Studying members' examination grades will be shared with CIM's Accredited Study Centres (the educational institutions which offer CIM qualifications).
The Chartered Institute of Marketing's communications are an integral part of keeping you informed and may include interesting and relevant business information from third parties that we think might be relevant and interesting.
Privacy statement for CIM Training and CIM Academy
CIM Training and CIM Academy (business areas of The Chartered Institute of Marketing) operate in a mainly business-to-business environment.
CIM Training and CIM Academy recognise that your privacy is important to you. The information you submit will be kept confidential and stored safely by The Chartered Institute of Marketing, under strictly regulated conditions in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998.
Any personal information provided by you to CIM Training or CIM Academy is used for the following purposes:
• Updating and enhancing your records with The Chartered Institute of Marketing
• Defining areas of interest to you and improving the website to meet users' habits and requirements
• Advising you of other products and services offered by The Chartered Institute of Marketing which may be of interest.
CIM Training and CIM Academy will not make this information available to organisations outside of The Chartered Institute of Marketing, unless you opt-in to this service.
By proceeding to register with CIM Training or CIM Academy you are consenting to the processing of your personal data as required and stated above. To opt-out of receiving information about The Chartered Institute of Marketing's products and services please contact our training team stating "Mail list1" in your enquiry.
CIM will use details submitted by you to enable us to contact you regarding CIM products or services that may be of interest to you. You will have the opportunity to opt out of these communications at any time if you wish. Your details will not be disclosed to third parties unless you specifically opt-in to these communications.
You may choose not to receive The Chartered Institute of Marketing's communications by contacting our membership services team.
As a marketing driven organisation we may use the information you provide to assist us with database profiling. This is aimed at improving the quality of products and services offered to you.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing uses data for testing purposes to ensure that its IT system for processing that data is working properly.
We do not store credit card details nor do we share financial details with any third parties.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing respects your data and has taken appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure we have mitigated against such risks as loss or unauthorised access, destruction, use, modification or disclosure of data.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing has a formal process to manage requests for access to the data we hold about you. However, in the first instance we encourage you to contact a member of staff to discuss and resolve any concerns you may have relating to the use/acquisition of your data.
In some circumstances we may be unable to provide you with your personal data, for example, if it compromises the confidentiality of a third party e.g. we are unable to provide candidates with copies of their marked examination scripts. However, The Chartered Institute of Marketing offers a comprehensive examination feedback service (for details please contact our membership services team).
Publication of personal data
As part of your relationship with The Chartered Institute of Marketing we have a policy of transparency with regard to your membership status and examination success. This will include the publication of the names of Chartered Marketers both in print and on CIM's web site. Individual examination grades will be made available to the examinee, your branch and the relevant Accredited Study Centre only.
CIM's branches/interest groups
To ensure we provide our members with local, personalised service, membership data may be passed from CIM to regions/interest groups and visa versa. If you advise us of a new mailing address, CIM may share your membership data with the relevant region/interest group.
This information will be used by The Chartered Institute of Marketing to provide additional membership benefits either via mail, phone, e-mail or fax. Any concerns regarding your data and CIM regions/interest groups should be address to our membership services team.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing is committed to the principles of data protection and will carry out its business in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
To deliver this, The Chartered Institute of Marketing has appointed a data protection officer responsible for the processing of personal data:
Data Protection Officer
The Chartered Institute of Marketing
The Chartered Institute of Marketing has notified the Information Commissioner regarding the possible uses of personal data. This listing can be found on the Information Commissioner's Office website under both CIM Holdings Limited and The Chartered Institute of Marketing.
Should you require further information regarding your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998, this may be obtained from:
Information Commissioner's Office
Information Line: +44 (0)1625 545745
Fax number: +44 (0)1625 524510