Chartered status is present in most industries and is recognised internationally. It can enable you to stand out from your peers, secure new opportunities as you work your way through your marketing career, and demonstrates you stay up to date and relevant.
Chartered Marketer is now more accessible to CIM graded members. With the world’s leading professional marketing body vouching for you, there’s no better way to demonstrate to colleagues or prospective employers your knowledge, and constant dedication to being a professional marketer.
How do I get Chartered?
You need to:
- First become an Associate, Member or Fellow of CIM (find out more about membership here)
- Then complete two consecutive years of Continuing Professional Development (CPD), easily done through CIM’s CPD app which you can find on the App Store or Google Play store
- Finally, pass the Chartered Marketer Online Assessment. If you hold a CIM Level 7 qualification, you could be eligible for an exemption.
Once Chartered, you can use the Chartered Marketer designatory letters and logo to demonstrate your unrivalled knowledge, skills and commitment as a professional marketer.
Routes to become Chartered
Select your experience level below and answer any further questions and we'll tell you what you need to do.
What marketing experience do you have?
Unfortunately you need a minimum of 3 years marketing experience or a Level 6 Diploma in Professional Marketing qualification / equivalent marketing degree qualification to qualify for the Associate membership level.
Don't worry, you can still sign up as an Affiliate Professional and complete CPD each year to demonstrate your professional development. Once holding Associate (ACIM) membership you will be able to submit CPD towards achieving Chartered Marketer status.
To become a member or find out more about Associate (ACIM) eligibility click the button below.Become a member
Once you are Chartered
As a Chartered Marketer, you will be:
- Added to the Chartered Marketer Directory, unless you request otherwise
- Issued with a Chartered Marketer certificate to recognise your achievement
- Granted use of the Chartered Marketer logo* for your personal stationery and website
- Able to use the designation “Chartered Marketer” or “CMktr” after your name.
*To obtain a copy of the logo, please contact our Customer Experience team.
Once Chartered, simply completing CPD every year can maintain your status and demonstrate unrivalled knowledge, skills, and commitment; all assets you can apply to meet the needs and objectives of your organisation. Looking forward you can secure new opportunities as you work your way through your career.
The breadth of experience and skills acquired during a career as a marketing professional, across marketing disciplines and the simple recording and reflection of them over time, as part of my CPD makes the process of achieving Chartered status a ‘no brainer’ really. Why wouldn’t you?
Barbara Coleman, Engagement Officer, North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust
Marketing is an ever-changing field. For me, it’s important I keep up-to-date with the latest technologies, tactics and thinking. Chartered Marketer status allows me to demonstrate this investment to both my existing and future employer.
Neil Lakeland, Group Head of Marketing and Communications, Hadlow College
For me, Chartered Marketer status is the gold standard measure and recognition of a marketer’s ability, experience and qualification to practice. It is the marketing equivalent of other Chartered professions like accounting and engineering.
Andrew Robertson, Marketing Consultant, Uska Rocks
Chartered Marketer status helps give me credibility with customers and clients. I do quite a bit of work for people in other professional sectors and the ‘Chartered’ status crosses boundaries between industries.
Ben Read, Freelance Marketing Consultant
I am proud to be a Chartered Marketer and be recognised with a professional accreditation that marks me out in the industry I love. Having CIM underline a marketer’s skills in such a competitive field makes being a Chartered Marketer a valuable attribute.
Lydia Crossley, Marketing Manager
Being a Chartered Marketer shows not only commitment and passion for the profession but also a willingness to continuously develop. I truly believe these values are highly on demand from employers, fellow colleagues and clients.
Stefano Pucello, Managing Director, SPC Ltd
Chartered Marketer status is a reflection of how serious I am about my profession. It adds credibility to the conversations I have and my work, as clients take more notice of my viewpoint and the insight I’m able to provide.
Richard Hagan, CEO, The Richard Hagan Design Consultancy
Routes to become a Chartered Marketer
As a qualified marketer you must:
- Be at Associate (ACIM), Member (MCIM) or Fellow (FCIM) membership grade
- Complete two consecutive years of CPD
- ACIM’s to accumulate a total value of 35 credits during each CPD year
- MCIM’s and FCIM’s to complete four reflective statements aligned with the Professional Marketing Competencies framework during each CPD year
- Complete the Chartered Marketer online assessment, available on completion of the second consecutive CPD year. You will have up to five attempts to complete the assessment. These attempts will refresh each time you renew your membership and submit CPD until you have successfully reached Chartered Marketer status. Those who have completed a CIM Level 7 qualification will not need to take the assessment.