Our Royal Charter
CIM’s purpose, powers and governance are established by our Royal Charter, bye-laws and regulation. Together they are known as The Constitution.
Like all chartered bodies, CIM is regulated by the Privy Council, a group of advisors to the Queen. Amendments to our Charter can only be made with the agreement of the Queen in Council, and amendments to our bye-laws must be approved by the Privy Council.
Less than 1,000 Royal Charters have been granted since 1231. Charters are granted very rarely, usually for bodies working in the public interest, such as professional institutions like CIM.
Our Board of Trustees
The Constitution establishes our Board of Trustees, who are responsible for the overall governance of CIM and its affairs. The Board is answerable to CIM members for the activities and functioning of CIM and the extent to which its objects have been met.
It is The Board of Trustees’ responsibility to:
- Give direction on all aspects of CIM’s Strategy and policy and develop long-term strategic plans and policy objectives for the Chief Executive and staff to implement.
- Review, approve and where appropriate request plans and programmes for achieving objectives.
- Ensure that CIM complies with legislative and regulatory requirements and acts within the confines of the Charter, Bye-laws, General and Board Regulations in furtherance to its objectives.
The trustees are advised and supported in their work by the following seven committees.
- Membership and the Profession Advisory Group.
- Learning Advisory Group.
- Audit and Risk Committee.
- Appointments and Remuneration Committee.
- Constitution and Ethics Committee.
- Disciplinary Committee.
- Strategy and Finance Committee.
Volunteer – Audit and Risk Committee
Are you interested in Audit and Risk? Have you thought about the possibility of giving back something to CIM in order to gain personal experience in the area of Audit and Risk?
CIM is looking for a member to join its Audit and Risk Committee in a voluntary capacity.
Candidates must be a current member of CIM with relevant experience in auditing and finance.
Find out more about the role of the Audit and Risk Committee and the application process here.
Closing date for receipt of applications – Thursday 22 March 2018 midday (GMT) .
View the Board of Trustees 2017 election results.