Chartered Marketer status recognises those marketers achieving the highest level in our profession. It demonstrates commitment to keeping up to date and is awarded on a combination of experience and qualifications. In 1998, The Queen's Privy Council granted us the authority to award Chartered Marketer status – the mark of an up-to-date, experienced and qualified marketing professional.
Qualifying for Chartered Marketer status
To become a Chartered Marketer you must:
- Be at either Member (MCIM) or Fellow (FCIM) grade for at least two consecutive years.
- Complete a reflective statement on a minimum of two core and two technical competencies during each CPD year for a minimum of two consecutive years.
- Complete the online Chartered Marketer assessment. This will be available on completion of the second consecutive CPD year and you will have up to five attempts to complete the assessment. These attempts will refresh each time you renew your membership until you have successfully reached Chartered status.
Once you have met this criteria, you will be awarded Chartered Marketer status.
Once you are Chartered
As a qualified Chartered Marketer, you will be:
- Added to the Chartered Marketer Directory, unless you request otherwise.
- Issued with a Chartered Marketer certificate to recognise your achievement.
- Granted use of the Chartered Marketer logo* for your personal stationery and website.
- Able to use the designation “Chartered Marketer” or “CMktr” after your name.
*To obtain a copy of the logo, please contact our Customer Experience team.
Maintaining your Chartered Marketer status
All Chartered Marketers will be required to submit records of their CPD every year and we will review a sample to verify relevance and completion. If you are selected in the sample and your records are not complete, you will be asked to resubmit and maybe at risk of losing your Chartered status.
Upgrading your membership
If you are a member but not currently MCIM or FCIM grade, you may be eligible to upgrade. To check eligibility criteria, see Types of membership or contact our Customer Experience team for more information.
CIM members can register for the CPD programme by logging into MyCIM and selecting the MyCPD tile under 'Resources'.